Minnesota Secretary Of State - How to renew your business filing
Skip to main content

How to renew your business filing

Business Annual Renewals:

If you filed a Certificate of Assumed Name, Minnesota Business Corporation, Foreign Business Corporation, or Non-Profit Corporation, or a Cooperative, Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership or Limited Partnership, you must file an annual renewal once every calendar year, beginning in the calendar year following your original filing with the Secretary of State. Your entity will be “statutorily dissolved” (no longer be recognized as existing in Minnesota) if you fail to file your annual renewal. If your entity has been statutorily dissolved, you may have it retroactively reinstated (as long as the name is still available) by filing a renewal for the current year and paying a fee.

The Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State has launched a new initiative aimed at better serving Minnesotans and the state’s business community called the “Minnesota Business Snapshot.” It’s a voluntary, quick five-question survey that’s now being offered to nearly 550,000 new and existing businesses in Minnesota as they file their annual renewal. The answers are considered public data and there is no penalty if you choose not to participate.

The survey was put together with the input of individual business owners, business organizations, non-profits, and researchers from across the state who see this as a great opportunity to make it easier and more convenient for businesses to identify potential partners, and for the public and educational institutions to better understand the state’s business community. We hope you will consider participating.

How to File Your Annual Renewal or Amendment Online:

Step 1: Create an online account with us and login or sign into an existing online account. Here you can find more information about creating an account.

Step 2: Go to the Business Filings Online  and search your business by its name or file number.

  • If the entity is inactive you will need to change the search’s filing status from “Active” to “Inactive” in order to locate the entity.
  • If the entity is inactive you will need to reinstate the entity before an amendment can be filed.

Step 3: Click on “Details” next to your business name from the Search Results.

Step 4: Click on “File Amendment/Renewal” from the Business Record Details page.

Step 5: Choose  Renewal from the list of Amendments-Available for Filing. Not all amendment types are available to be processed online.

Step 7: Review the Filing, updating any information you would like/need to update. Click "Next" to review your renewal, and then submit.

Step 9: When you receive the email from our office that the filing has been processed you can open the email and there will be a link that you can click on that will take you to our website where you can download a copy of the filing. The link is only valid for 90 days.

NOTE: All filings are kept in the Transaction History for 90 days. The Transaction History is accessible by signing into your online account on our website and then clicking on Transaction History. Once you’re on the History page you can click on the order number on the right and it will give you an option to download the filing.